Cybercrime has become a serious threat to the security of financial institutions worldwide. Banks, in particular, have been targeted by cybercriminals due to the wealth of sensitive data they hold. Over the years, we’ve seen an increasing number of bank hacks, which have resulted in millions of dollars in losses. In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the most notorious cybercriminals behind these bank hacks.
- Carbanak Group: The Carbanak Group is one of the most notorious cybercriminal groups that has been involved in bank hacks. The group is believed to have originated from Russia and Eastern Europe, and they are known for their sophisticated hacking techniques. In 2015, the group was responsible for stealing over $1 billion from banks worldwide.
- Lazarus Group: The Lazarus Group is a North Korean hacking group that has been linked to several high-profile cyber attacks, including the Sony Pictures hack in 2014. The group has also been involved in several bank hacks, including the $81 million theft from the Bangladesh Bank in 2016. The group is believed to operate on behalf of the North Korean government.
- FIN7 FIN7, also known as the Carbanak/FIN7 Group, is a cybercriminal group that has been active since 2015. The group is known for its sophisticated phishing attacks, which have targeted numerous financial institutions. In 2018, three members of the group were arrested by the US authorities.
- Cobalt Group: The Cobalt Group is a Russian cybercriminal group that has been involved in several high-profile bank hacks. The group is known for its sophisticated malware and hacking techniques. In 2018, several members of the group were arrested by the Spanish police.
- The Shadow Brokers: The Shadow Brokers is a hacking group that gained notoriety in 2017 when they released a large cache of hacking tools and exploits, allegedly stolen from the US National Security Agency (NSA). The group has been linked to several cyber attacks, including the WannaCry ransomware attack in 2017, which affected numerous financial institutions worldwide.
In conclusion, cybercrime remains a major threat to the security of financial institutions worldwide. The groups mentioned above are just a few of the most notorious cybercriminals involved in bank hacks. It’s important for financial institutions to remain vigilant and take necessary precautions to prevent cyber attacks.